Conveniently located to serve Newport Beach in Orange County
With so many treatment modalities available in the aesthetic marketplace, it can be difficult to choose what’s right for you. Micro-needling in Newport Beach is a safe, effective and affordable method of treating the appearance of:
- Lines and wrinkles
- Uneven tone and texture
- Skin discoloration
- Stretch marks
- Skin sagging
Microneedling is a safe and effective treatment for all skin types. Microneedling can be used to treat most areas of the body including the face, neck, and décolleté, as well as helping to firm the appearance of skin on key areas of the body such as the abdomen and upper thighs, making it an ideal complement to body contouring treatments.
What Is Micro-needling?
Microneedling is a minimally-invasive, non-surgical procedure for skin rejuvenation that involves controlled injury to the skin to stimulate the production of new collagen. A series of 3 to 6 treatments, at approximately 4-week intervals, combined with a provided post care kit to use at home, delivers visible results with minimal downtime. Most patients can resume normal activity within a day, making it an ideal treatment for individuals who have active lifestyles.
Before and After Images
Microneedling rollers are the previous generation of needling devices. One of the many drawbacks of dermal rollers is the use of fixed, reusable needles with one limited penetration depth (i.e. 0.5mm). This makes dermarolling less conducive for treating a complex area like the face, which requires different needle depths due to the varying thickness of the skin. The microneedling roller needles also penetrate the skin at an angle, which may cause tearing of the skin, increasing the risk for adverse effects and a longer recovery.
Collagen P.I.N.™ microneedling pen uses a sterile, disposable needle tip for each treatment that has an adjustable needle depth ranging from 0.1 – 3mm. This allows your skin care provider to adjust the needle penetration depth throughout the entire treatment to treat thinner and thicker areas of the face and body with increased efficacy. The use of a new, sterile needle tip for each treatment also reduces the risk for infection and needle dulling. The microneedling pen is held perpendicular to the skin so that the needles penetrate the skin vertically, preventing tearing of the skin. Thus the microneedling pen provides an individualized, safer and more precise treatment with superior results to dermarolling.
You are likely an ideal candidate for micro-needling if you desire to treat wrinkles, scars, and hyperpigmentation. Other good candidates for the procedure are those with large pores, acne scars, stretch marks, sun damage, and uneven skin tone.
While micro-needling is safe for almost anyone, it is not recommended for those with active acne, wound-healing problems, and skin infections. People with these conditions must wait until they get medical clearance to undergo micro-needling.
During the consultation, you will discuss your medical history (including history of cold sores), cosmetic goals, and expectations. We will provide pre- and post-treatment instructions, discuss the risks, as well as the cost of the procedure.
- One week prior to treatment, discontinue use of any prescription or over the counter topical retinoic acid (Retin-A, Tretinoin, Differin, Adapalene, Tazorac, Tazarotene, retinol, etc), Bleaching Cream (HQRA+) and AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids). Please inform us of all prescription and over the counter skin care products that you use.
- Notify us if you have a history of cold sores (oral herpes), as you will need to take an oral anti-viral medication starting at least 1 day prior to the procedure and continue for 1 week, for prevention. Please contact the office for a prescription.
- Avoid excess sun exposure, laser or IPL treatments and chemical peels for one month prior to treatment.
- Avoid blood thinning agents such as Aspirin, fish oil, Omega-3, vitamin E oil as well as anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Aleve for 1 week prior, with approval of medical provider who recommends taking them. May resume the day after treatment.
- Avoid shaving the day of the procedure and avoid waxing, depilatory creams or electrolysis to the areas being treated for 7 days prior.
- Topical numbing is applied to the skin 30-45 minutes prior to the procedure.
- The Collagen P.I.N. feels like a vibrating sensation with minimal to no discomfort.
- The treatment takes approximately 30 minutes depending on the area(s) being treated.
- A post-care product kit will be given in office with specific step by step instructions to follow for the 4 days following the procedure. These are the only skin products you may use on your face for the first 4 days post treatment. You should not resume your normal skin care regime until 5 days after your treatment.
- Avoid sweat-inducing activities for at least 24 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure for at least 72 hours post treatment.
The cost of micro-needling depends on the size of the treatment area(s). Price may also vary based on the number of treatment sessions required and the number of areas treated.
Redness, skin tightness, mild sensitivity to touch, mild burning sensation and pin point bruising are common side effects. These will diminish after a few hours following treatments and within the next 24 hours. After three days, there is little evidence that the procedure has taken place.
Contact Us to Learn More
Find out more about how to achieve vibrant and youthful appearing skin from micro-needling in Newport Beach by contacting The Ocean Clinic Dermatology & Plastic Surgery. We provide natural-looking results with our skincare treatments and products. Contact us today to book a consultation.